Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Recession Confession updated.....

I want to apologize for my inconsistency of posting since I have been back home. To be honest, I've been really busy and fairly stressed out about some current situations going on over here.....More on that another time but hopefully things will be turning up soon.

I will continue to post as often as I can but I never want my "blog" to become a "chore" so thanks for understanding this during these trying times.....:-)

Carlos and I are back at work in full force ( Carlos is working 5 double shifts in a row this week!). In the mean time we are once again on a serious budget. Luckily, we are too busy to really spend any $$ these days so we might be ok.....So, I'm focusing on making a lot of large dishes that can last a few days like pastas, grains, roasted veggies etc. These are perfect to take to work and quickly heat up in a microwave. When we first got back from Australia/New Zealand we made a big Costco trip. Since then, I've been supplementing our Costco staples with a weekly trip to the Farmer's Market in Kahului for fresh produce.

Actually, I've made a commitment to not spend more than $100 until Nov.1st ( yes, that's in Maui dollars ). So far, I have spent just $9.24 in 3 days ( ummmm on a bottle of wine ) But,  Pretty good huh! I have 1/2 tank of gas in the Audi, bills are all paid, pantry is stocked ( but need bananas ) and we only have 1 major holiday coming up this weekend that requires beverages. So, we'll see......Luckily, I have a whole trunk full of fun costumes to choose from for Halloween ( some I haven't even worn! ). As for Carlos, he wears the same costume every year and I'm seriously starting to debate if the thing has ever been washed.......You'll just have to wait and see I guess.......

SO, I took a small break for myself after chores and before work and headed down to "Airport Beach" in Kaanapali to read a book. It was pretty much perfect out ( as usual ) but no surf to speak of......

I'm reading "Eat, Pray, Love" again. I've heard mixed reviews about this book even though it was a huge best seller ( movie in the works staring Julia Roberts and my fantasy husband, Javier Bardem ) Anyway, If anyone has read this, let me just say that I lived this book. Well, At least I got to live ( and survived ) the torture of the first chapter.


"Eat, Pray, Love," is a memoir about a women who turned 30, looked at her life ( married for 8 yrs, had just bought a beautiful home, was financially sound, etc ) and discovered that this life was not what she really wanted......So, she left......

Honestly, the details and time lines I shared with the author of "Eat, Pray, Love" ( Elizabeth Gilbert ) are scary.......everything.......our age, our accomplishments, our confusion, guilt and depression are in perfect alignment. This book literally saved my life when it was given to me by my roommate during the first year after my divorce. "Eat, Pray, Love", helped me see that I was not alone, I was not a failure and sometimes we need to change course when things aren't going the way we thought we wanted them to go.........

Anyway, I won't spoil the end of the book for anyone but I'll just say this......I can very much relate to the final scene as well ( wink ).

FOOD LOG

Breakfast: none

Lunch: Pasta Salad ( organic pasta, lemon zest, lemon juice, sea salt, pepper, evoo, fresh basil, tomatoes )

Dinner: Roasted Veggies and Couscous ( carrots, apples, onions, garlic, golden raisins, pepper, sea salt, evoo and balsamic vinegar )


Pau Hana: "Barefoot Winery"-Pinot Grigio (seriously, this cheap wine is excellant! Good year I guess? )


SIDE NOTE: I give up....TAJ is shedding and I cannot keep up with his piles of fur everywhere......Thank god I wear black to work everyday. ( he doesn't seem to be concerned about it of course.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment