Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Great Pumpkin! Southern Hemi style.....

Pumpkin......oh man do the Aussies and Kiwis LOVE their pumpkins! Lucky for me so do I!! So, I felt that the best way to start talking about Australian and New Zealand vegetarian is to start with one of their much used/loved staples.....that big orange squash!!
I will have to say that in almost every restaurant in Australia and New Zealand that I dined in...Pumpkin was a key ingredient on the menu. Now, that being said.... I also need to mention that almost every time I have travelled to Australia it has been late winter or early spring..... So,  this might be the real reason for all the pumpkin love on the menus. But, who cares! Lucky me once again!

Here's a few examples!!
This was divine!
Orca Restraunt and Bar- Raglan, NZ ( Lunch )
Spicy Pumpkin and Kurmara ( New Zealand Sweet Potato ) Croquettes on Coconut Rice

Paired with a Gunn Estate New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc ( heavy citrus! ) Very Good! 2 big glasses ( what can I say....it was pouring outside.)
And just for any curious non veggie eater out there, Carlos had....
NZ Mussles and then Fish and Chips!



SIDE NOTE: Like I mention before...the weather was really bad for us in New Zealand ( the whole time!! ) And we had intended on "Camping" in a vented camper van during our 10 day trip! Oops!!! I was seriously on the verge of losing it this afternoon because not only was it pouring down rain it was also FREEZING!!! Seriously! 1 or 2 degrees C were the night time lows at the frigging beach!!....( Please remember I live in Hawaii and my skin is thin! ...... but Carlos was cold too so there! )
Anyhow,  Orca's staff was nice enough to let me use their telephone so I could book a room at a local hotel while we waited for our food....
I was half way through giving my information to the Raglan Hotel and Spa ( something like that....) and the power went out!
So, During the 30 minute blackout we talked ourselves out of the $140 NZD room and managed another freezing cold night in the camper van we had rented.....blah!  Good thing I kept drinking that day......

NEXT!

35 degrees South- Paihia, NZ ( Lunch )
Falafel Wrap-Lettuce, Tzaziki, Roasted Red Pepper on top of Pumpkin Hummus


And for the Argentine.......
Thai Marinated Chicken, Roasted Red Pepper and Linguine with Coconut Red Curry and Cilantro!






So, 35 Degrees South...Food=Excellant! Weather=shit!

NEXT!

Bondi Fresh-Bondi Beach, NSW Ozzzzzzzz ( Lunch, Take Away )
Pumpkin Salad-Roasted Pumpkin, Sundried Tomatoes, Creamy Tasmanian Feta, Spinach, Walnuts and Lime/Lemon dressing
I loved this...I had it about 4 times durning my stay in Bondi Beach! ( again...notice the pretty white sand below :-)

                                             

NEXT!

Health Food Store-Bondi Beach, NSW, Australia ( Lunch, Take Away )
This was interesting! I wasn't sure if I was going to like it but I DID!

Pumpkin Sushi Rolls and Veggie Sushi Rolls with Tamari

                                                

One More! ( for now....I'm tired )

Pizza at the Manly Wharf! NSW, Australia ( Lunch )
Pumpkin, Rocket and Goats Curd ( I added the sweet chili sauce ) This was awesome!!

                                                 
Too be continued....of course

Back in good ol Maui, USA.....
Well, today was a work day ( blah, blah, blad ) but I managed to surf for about an hour after work AND before the onshore winds crapped the waves out.

WORKOUT- 1 hour appox. 2-4 ( faces ) surf, "Guard Rails" Lahaina. Board: 7'8" Valley Isle

FOOD LOG

Breakie-Green Smoothie ( missed these!!) 2 cups organic spinach, 1 cup almond milk, vanilla extract, stevia, 1.5 frozen bananas

Lunch-Salad with organic mixed greens, 1/2 avocado, sunflower sprouts, black sesame seeds and lime
With Mary's Gone Cracker's no gluten crackers

Dinner-Organic Penne cooked with "Basil Tomato Classico", canned organic tomatoes, extra organic garlic, splash of Merlot, Kalamata olives

Oh, one more thing before heading to bed....Carlos was able to fix my picture posting issues on "Blogspot" for me in like 5 minutes ( he's annoying like that ) but now my spell check is missing??? So, sorry for all the spelling issues ( I'm a terrible speller but I can name all the 50 states so I'm not a total idiot, I swear ) BUT Carlos is snorning ( seriously...he is ) like 5 feet away from me and I don't want to wake him up again to help me out.....so I guess we'll have to manage until tomorrow. Forgive me.....aloha, A

3 comments:

  1. OMG all your pics are incredible!!! so inspiring and absolutely mouth watering :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm the salad from Bondi Beach with the roasted pumpkin, sun-dried tomato and feta looks SO good. About how big was the portion of the salad?

    ReplyDelete