Sunday, October 18, 2009

Dining in Bondi Beach

Bondi Beach is part of Sydney's Eastern Suburbs ( however it's actually south of the city's CBD ) . It consists of a large white sand beach with many cafe's, pubs and clothing stores. It also has Bondi Junction, a major mall that houses the department store David Jones ( and it's fabulous food hall! ) and an incredible Farmer's Market on Oxford St. every Saturday. However,  Bondi Beach might also be one the the best places in Australia to people watch.
Sydney is an extremely cosmopolitan city and Bondi is where all the "beautiful" people seem to gather to workout, to dine or to end up in the tabloids. Even if the more laid back surfer beaches to the north of the city are more your style ( like mine ), Bondi Beach is still fantastic.

Here are some of my favorite places to have dinner in Bondi Beach.........



Icebergs-This place is nothing short of iconic! Sitting above the famous Bondi Rockpool, "Icebergs" has the best view of the beach and the turquoise colored surf break. While on the pricy side, Icebergs is a fabulous place to have a sunset drink and "snack" like an olive dish, small cheese platter or a couple of Sydney Rock Oysters ( if you are into that ). We only went to Icebergs one time on this trip. However, no trip to OZ would feel complete without it......

On this visit I enjoyed a nice glass of Tamara, Pinot Noir from Tasmania




Raw Bar-Sitting on the opposite end of the beach from Icebergs is my favorite Japanese food in Bondi, The Raw Bar. This place is small and fills up fast so get there early! It has a wonderful salad filled with tons of sea veggies, great tempura and awesome sushi! I crave this place when I am in the sydney area.



"Raw Bar Salad" (split with Carlos)-spinach, avocado, butter leaf lettuce,  cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots, 2 types of sea vegetables, tomatoes, sesame seeds and a dressing consisting of miso, ginger, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar.


2 Veggie Sushi Rolls- white seasoned rice, sesame seeds, spinach, avocado

Wine: Prizzoli Sauvignon Blanc from South Australia

NEW DISCOVERY!

 Rice Pot- Excellant Thai Food!  BYOB ( $2 corkage fee per person ) and it was crazy busy everytime we walked by! Tons of vegan friendly apps and mains to pick from.... Specializing in curries, noodle/rice bowls and stir fries. Ono grinds!



Vegetarian Green Papaya Salad with Coconut and Chili Rice ( split with Carlos )

Vegetarian Pad Thai- This rice noodles with tofu, ground peanuts, bean sprout, carrots and shallots ( I asked for no egg )

And here's Carlos' main dish.......

Green Peppercorn Stir Fry-Fresh calamari stir fried with young green peppercornn, chili, onion and mixed vegetables.

The Wine: purchased from the bottle shop next store...."Giesen" Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough, New Zealand 2008

Australia and New Zealand to be continued.....

Back in Maui, USA

I've been spending my weekend surfing!! ( yes I have Saturday AND Sunday off for once! ) We have a GREAT south swell in town ( probably from all that crappy weather we were in last week in Australia! )

I've also been eating a ton of salads and fresh juices from the health food store. I've been out and about most of the time ( without my camera because I don't like leaving it in my car when I'm surfing so I'm sorry because I don't have many food pics from the last 2 days)....I promise to be better about that this week. Much aloha everyone xo xo

No comments:

Post a Comment