Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Breakfast in Australia

Well, before I get into posting I just want to comment that I'm having a massive issue with blogspot. For some reason I cannot place photos where I want them in my post? So... annoyingly, I have to choose what photos I want to talk about and then add them in the that order ( but the order needs to be in reverse?? Like, I need to first pic the picture I want to end my post with!) Does that make any sense?? The reason this is so frustrating to me is because I never think about what I'm going to write about when I start a post. I just start writing and I don't usually post pics until the story is finished. At that point, I pick out photos that will go with the post...get it? So, anyway, that being said....here's go at it.
On my first morning in Austalia I woke up at about 5 am ( 9 am Honolulu time ) and I am proud to say that I kept myself on Hawaiian time the whole month. I love waking up really early! This was even more of a bonus the day of the Big Australian Dust Storm ( check it out! I was there! ) more on that on another post.... Talk about a red dawn!
Anyway, here's a pic of my first "Long Black" ( yes, I had a couple on my Holiday ) They don't do a standard drip coffee in OZ or at lease they sure don't taste or look like a standard drip. A "Long Black" is the closest thing to a black "coffee" in the states. I always drink mine straight up...no sugar, no cream ( just like my drip coffees ). I think "Long Blacks" are more like an espresso with hot water added to it since they are a bit frothy??
I don't know....didn't ask....maybe I should have after 4 weeks of them?
Australia ( and New Zealand ) is a vegetarian and vegan's dream! It is so incredibly easy to find loads of fresh juice bars. I went to "Bondi Fresh" in Bondi Beach almost every morning.
Above ( note the pretty white sand ) is a juice of beetroot ( the Aussies put it in everything) , spinach, celery and apple. Then I discovered an awesome pear, apple and mint juice at the health food store in Bondi! Yum! Carlos thought it was pretty awesome too so "sharing" the $8.90 fresh juice became an issue ( what's new?). I think I was only getting about $2.30 worth of it....you get my drift I'm sure.
So, for the most part my "Breakie" in Australia was pretty simple....either a coffee or juice ( or both ) and when I wanted something a bit "heavier" I usually turned to some crusty grain bread smothered with half an avocado and "Murray River Valley" Australian pink salt...
Sorry, no Vegamite for this chick! To be continued......

3 comments:

  1. Would you consider moving to wordpress?? YAY I'm so glad you're back! Can't wait to see all the pictures and hear about the food and the trip :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh you will have to show a pic of the apple pear mint juice! the combo sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a pic of the other drink:-( So sorry.....It was soooooo good though! you have to make it!

    ReplyDelete