Saturday, September 12, 2009

Honolua Bay

I woke up this morning to the sight of waves breaking all over the island!! We had a typical summer south swell going on and another out of season north swell!
I of course, was unable to get into the water this morning :-( I spent my whole Saturday working ( what's new? ) and by the time I was off it was raining up at Honolua.....Honolua Bay is one of Maui's most famous breaks ( the other one being Peahi or "Jaws" of course)
Honolua is a gorgeous headland flanked by pineapple fields. It faces North West and looks across the channel to Molokai. To surf Honolua, you first have to navigate down a very steep and very muddy cliff. When it's raining I do my very best to avoid surfing there since it can be super slippery! Unfortunalty, I have already been down the cliff and in the ocean when the rain has started. However, this was not the case today:-)
When I pulled up to "The Bay" I noticed my other car already there.....looks like Carlos got off work early. I spotted him on my 7'8" "Valley Isle" board on a nice head high set.
The "Coconut Wireless" was cranking all day too......Apparently, there was something else in the water at Honolua Bay this morning..... a 12' and a 15' Tiger Shark .......But I guess nobody was worried about them because I witnessed about 25 surfers out there anyway.....Yes, we are a strange breed ( surfers ) aren't we? I guess not everyone out there enjoys entering the food chain on a daily basis as much as we do........
WORKOUT-1 Hour Hatha Yoga ( instead of my planned surf )
FOOD LOG
BREAKFAST-Green Smoothie ( 3 cups fresh spinach, 1 cup almond milk, 1 Tb peanut butter, stevia, 1 frozen banana )
LUNCH-"Amy's Organic"-"Santa Fe Bowl" ( rice, tofu, beans, veggies, corn tortillas )
DINNER-"Healthy Vegan Fried Rice" ( Jasmine rice, tofu, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, peas, shoyu, onions, Macadamia nut oil, cilantro, sesame seeds and Shirachi)

2 comments:

  1. Darn I was one of those 25 surfers... LOL... we had no idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Really! Ya, my boy had no idea either....the waves looked nice though:-)

    ReplyDelete