Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Latitude 21 N musings......

I thought it was a perfect time to take a little break from food and talk a little about my educational back ground. Like I've mentioned before, I work in the Fine Art industry but my real interests seem to focus around all things food, green living and interior design. So, I'm sure you can all guess what my major was in college!!

PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY with and emphasis in METEOROLOGY

I'm sure that was pretty obvious to everyone.........

I remember wearing a toga once ( oh yes I did....) at a fraternity party at SDSU back in probably 1994 when this boozy guy walked over and asked me the most classic college pick up line ever......

Enter: So Cal Surfer Dude with " Jeff Spicoli accent"

Spicoli: "So.....like, what's your major?"

Me: (long pause, eyes rolling )......... "Geography"

Spicoli: "Right on......so like, you must really be into rocks or something"

Me: "That's Geology you dumbass"

Spicoli: "Oh! Duh! Totally.........sorry.........."

At this point he was standing by himself next to a tub full of Jungle Juice trying to remember what he asked me again......

"Traditionally, geographers have been viewed the same way as cartographers and people who study place names and numbers. Although many geographers are trained in toponymy and cartology, this is not their main preoccupation. Geographers study the spatial and temporal distribution of phenomena, processes and features as well as the interaction of humans and their environment.[6] As space and place affect a variety of topics such as economics, health, climate, plants and animals, geography is highly interdisciplinary."

Mahalo, wikipedia.com for setting us all straight!

I've learned over my many years here on earth that Geography is an intimidating topic for serveral and this concerns me. I'm terribly worried about the fact that most Californians have a difficult time finding Sacramento on a US map or the feeling of shock when I had a person point at Lanai once and asked me if that island was there last year. (SIDE NOTE: I seriously need to start a book about the things I've had tourists ask me over the years ) Anyways, I LOVE geography!! I love maps, traveling, learning about different cultures, crazy storms and environmental topics. I can pick out any country in the world on a blank map and probably tell you something about it. I can see a "wave of airflow" off Africa and understand why this is going to effect the weather in Hawaii in 2 weeks. Why does Argentina make insane tasting Malbec? I can tell you why......because I majored in Geography!

Chemistry class scared me.......Geometry made me want to stick a pen in my eye......but, Geography made total sense. I chose an emphasis in Meteorology because I think the weather is just about the coolest thing happening around us. It effects us everyday, it determines what you wear, what you eat, what you do on the weekends and the best part is this.....it's completely out of our control!

For I long time I dreamed about working for the "National Hurricane Center" in Miami, I mean seriously how cool would that be?! Geeking out all day tracking storm systems across the Atlantic with a bunch of really hot weather freaks ( okay....maybe not "hot" but let me tell you this......this is a male dominated sport! ). Well , since this seemed unlikely without a Master of Science diploma I pictured the more likely career path for me was .........."Weather Girl".

I could just picture it....I'm on camera in some tight dress in a rain coat trying to keep my makeup and hair in place while I'm battling drizzle. Then later they have me standing on some pier in a rising storm surge as "Hurricane blah blah" quickly approaches just so they can show how "dangerous" it all really is ......( I'm sorry but all those "Geraldo Rivera hair blowing in the wind" interviews really turned me off ) So, I decided that meteorology and storm tracking was going to be way more fun as a hobby and I turned to the other things that interested me ( so much for all those student loans.....)

Enter the Art World and high end sales ( hmmmm....maybe not forever).....At 33 I'm still looking for my real career path. I've always been so all over the place. I'm interested in soooooo many things and I've always had such a hard time focusing on just one. But finally, I see myself slowing following my passion for healthy green living. I think by focusing on this I can use the knowledge I acquired through everything I've been studying from my days back at SDSU, to the mountains of books and magazines I've collected to the information I've gathered from thousand of hours on line! Blogging has been a great way to learn about myself as well and what I'm really passionate about. Lord knows how we all survived with out the World Wide Web !! To think, The horror!

So this is the real reason this topic came up......June 1 st is the start of hurricane Season in Hawaii. Every morning between June 1st and November 1st I look up the NOAA website to check if we have any impending disasters heading our way ( this is a rare thing in Hawaii but it takes up at lease 5 minutes of my workday) HOWEVER, currently there is a little storm heading towards my island state ( Well, not exactly little.....Hurricane Felicia is a Category 4 hell storm with winds packing 140 mph ) Tonight her track has the eye plowing into the Hawaiian Islands Monday night. Who knows....this happens once a season at least but we haven't been hit in 17 years! ( "Iniki" = BIG BAD storm of 1992....tore the crap out of Kauai and released about 1 million chickens from their cages island wide which now = BIG CURRENT problem ) but that's a story for another time..... I'll keep y'all posted since I'm sure you'll be dying to know Felicia's progress.......Thanks for letting be my massive geek and random self.

***Just a quick shout out before I decide to bust out a glass of that South African wine again....My girl Melissa from www.pastriesandbacon.wordpress.com did a Q&A about me today (Aug.5 2009) She's such a doll! She has an awesome blog dedicated to food and her journey into the living food movement as well. Check it out! xo xo, A

WORKOUT LOG

40 minutes Elliptical Machine level 7

3 sets of 20 bicep curls 8 lbs

3 sets of 20 tricep dips 12lbs

2 sets of 20 lunges

2 sets of 20 ballet squats 12lbs

100 AB crunches

Weight- 106.0

FOOD LOG

BREAKFAST-"Green Monster" ( Kale, 1 cup Almond Milk, frozen Mangoes, 1.5 frozen Bananas, 1 scoop "Amazing Meal", Stevia )

LUNCH-1 cup "Herb and Sun Dried Tomato Pasta" recipe 8/4/09 and 1 cup "Mexican Bean Salad" see recipe below.....

SNACK- Dried Mangoes and Cashews ( about a handful )

* MEXICAN BEAN SALAD* VEGAN

1 can of Organic Pinto Beans-rinse

Corn cut from two cobs ( raw)

handful of chopped chives

1 cup diced Tomatoes

1 tsp Cumin

Juice of 1 Lime

1/4 Cup Macadamia Nut Oil

Sea Salt to taste

1 Tb Red Wine Vinegar

1/2 chopped Cilantro ( Coriander )

1 diced hot chili pepper ( I used Serrano )

TOSS!!

DINNER- "Thai Peanut Pasta" about 1 cup, 1 Glass of "Man Vintners" Chenin Blanc, South Africa

*THAI PEANUT PASTA* VEGAN
1 lb dried organic Pasta cooked al dente
3 sliced carrots
1 head chopped broccoli
1/2 cup chopped Cilantro
1/4 cup chopped Green Onions
"Thai Peanut Dressing" about a cup? recipe on 8/3/09
Diced Thai Chili ( optional )
Sea Salt if need be
In a large skillet add carrots and broccoli over med heat. Add 1/4 c water, cover and simmer until lightly steamed through ( about 5 min ) remove from heat add onions, chili and cilantro.
Add veggies to cooked pasta with "Thai Peanut Dressing" ( as much dressing as you want until coated ) Done!
AUGUST CHALLENGE-Dairy Free Day 5.......I miss me some Goat Cheese.....Mood thanks to that: cranky bitch

2 comments:

  1. HAHA your re-cap of the guy picking you up soooo funny! Love your post today - I'm with you on the same page, still looking for my ultimate career which I have a feeling is going to be a juice bar/bakery somewhere like the islands or colorado!

    ReplyDelete