Monday, July 27, 2009

Stand Up Paddle Boarding

GUESS WHAT! We finally got our Thule Surf racks and Carlos put them on our old Honda! I'm so stoke because this meant that I could get the huge ( 11' 6" ) Naish Stand Up Paddle board back in the water today! It's been almost 2 months. The poor board was covered in dust!

We had real surf on our south shores today so we not only strapped the SUP board and Carlos's board on to the car but I threw my little short board in the trunk too. We headed down to Puamana Beach Park in Lahaina and I took the SUP board out first. It's always a bit difficult to navigate a huge board like that out past the reef when you have big waves crashing in ( while you are standing with a paddle ) Remember that scene in the movie "Castaway" where Tom Hanks is trying to get that boat over the waves and into the open ocean? That was me today....

Anyways, I've been missing my Stand Up Board so much!! The water was very calm past the reef and it was super clear inspite of the swell pushing in! You could also see Mauna Kea on the Big Island today too!! That's really rare! However, When you see the Big Island from Maui you can really understand why we get blocked from so much great surf . I mean seriously, the Big Island is BIG and you can tell that because of it's position south of us it's stopping a lot of surf from making it to Maui's shores. This is why Oahu and Kauai get better summer surf than us......nothing blocks them from the south ( except maybe Tahiti! )

I paddled boarded for about 45 minutes (?? maybe longer? ) from Puamana Beach to past Shark Pit and back. Then I traded in the SUP board for my 6"4" Fish so I can do some "real" surfing! Oh man was it crowded out today!!! Oh well....at least there were no jelly fish and the water was freakishly warm. I mean, do you think it''s normal to sweat when you are paddling in the ocean with no wet suit?? Hell no! But, I think it's great!!

As for my diet....I'll be honest, it's been a bit of a cheese fest in recent days....don't think I haven't noticed. As long as I stick with goat cheese I seem to be OK. However, as soon as I add a bit of cow cheese into the mix...that's when I have issues. I made a KILLER Apple and Blue Cheese Pizza today! It was AWESOME! I tried to just use a sprinkling of Mozzarella and Blue Cheese but my tummy knows better...I felt sort of bloated for awhile but honestly it was worth it and I had more for dinner! ( FYI-I packed some for Carlos to take to work for dinner too and he actually called me just to tell me how good it was! )

I think I need to scale back my dairy intake again....I'm seriously nowhere near being a true VEGAN right now even if I don't drink milk or eat eggs....Seriously, cheese = crack in my house.

WORKOUT LOG

Stand Up Paddling about 45 min

Surfing 1 hour ( 6'4" Fish )

FOOD LOG

BREAKFAST-"Green Monster" ( from "Oh She Glows" Blog ) ( Kale, Spinach, 1 cup almond milk, Stevia, 1.5 Frozen Bananas, 1 TB Peanut Butter, 1 Scoop of "Amazing Meal" ) by the way....I'm getting crazy addicted to these!LUNCH-After the salad I had for lunch yesterday I decided to do the same thing with a Pizza! "Whole Wheat, Apple and Blue Cheese Pizza" ( Dough recipe from "Eat Live Run" Blog, I posted the recipe on 7/15 ) I actually only had 1 slice for lunch and then 2 for dinner.

DINNER-same as lunch!
PAU HANA-1 Glass "Monkey Bay" NZ Sauv Blanc and a dish of "Purely Decadent" frozen non dairy dessert
*WHOLE WHEAT, APPLE and BLUE CHEESE PIZZA* VEGETARIAN

Grease Pizza Pan ( with olive oil ) and Pre Heat oven to 500F

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough ( I pulled from freezer last night to defrost for today, 1/2 of the recipe )

1.5 TB GOOD organic Olive Oil

Spinach

1 Granny Smith Apple sliced very thin

small handful of walnuts

shredded Mozzarella Cheese ( about 1/2 Cup )

about 1/3 Cup crumbled Blue Cheese

Cracked Black Pepper and Sea Salt

**Start by brushing pizza dough with oil and layer the ingredients in this order

Spinach, Apple, Walnuts, Mozzarella cheese, Blue Cheese, Pepper ( salt to taste )

Cook about 11-12 min until cheese is slightly golden.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there - I just came across your blog and as someone who LOVES Hawaii and is a raw vegan 85 - 90% of the time, I wanted to see if you'd let me add your blog to my blogroll? It's pastriesandbacon.com (don't let the name fool you) and my email is xmcastx@gmail.com. Thanks so much! PS: how to contact you via email?

    ReplyDelete