Friday, July 31, 2009

My challenge for August!

I decided about 2 weeks ago that I was going to challenge myself to go dairy free for the month of August. I didn't mention it on this blog because I gave myself a 50/50 chance of wussing out come July 31. However, I think I'm going to give it a go.....I had a pretty cheese filled diet over the last week and it upset my stomach enough to actually WANT to take a break.
So to get ready for my little 31 one day challenge I decided to do a big shopping trip today. I had planned to get up and surf "advisory level" ( 8 ft faces ) this morning however the waves failed to show up on time ( typical ) it was seriously a big giant lake out there. I think the biggest ripple I saw was about 6". So, I figured it was a perfect day to head to my favorite Farmer's Market as well as the best and least expensive Health Food Store on Island, "Mana Foods".
"Mana Foods" is in Paia Town and Paia is a whole hour away from my house. However, it's totally worth it especially if you plan on doing a "big trip" and frankly I sort of like an excuse to drive my fast new Audi across Maui ( even if our speed limit is only 45 mph ) Mana is where I get my organic dry/can good staples and condiments. TOTAL COST: $132.28
Next stop was the Maui Mall in Kahului ( where the Farmer's Market is )......Ya want to know who the biggest "tease" is on island these days?? That would be "Whole Foods Market". They have been "coming soon!!" for over a year now! Ahhhhh.....it's torture I swear!!! At least it looks like somebody was working on the building this a.m. I think they were installing the AC unit. That's GOT to be a good sign right?? Maybe it's better if they take another year to open...I mean seriously, do I actually think I'll be able to shop there? I know how expensive that place is on the "Mainland". Can you imagine what a Maui Whole Foods will cost?!

Anyways, I think I over bought last time I was at the Farmer's Market ( very easy to do ) So, I tried to restrain myself a bit and I walked out with only 2 bags full of veggies TOTAL COST: $33.90 ( oh and then I stopped at the Napili Market for a $12 bottle of "Murphy Goode Fume Blanc" )So over the next month, my goal is to eliminate dairy. It's not to be "vegan". I will still eat honey and I will not freak out if something has eggs in it. Also, my goal is not to be raw. I really want to see if I can do this so I don't want to complicate things by forcing myself to just eat raw vegan salads all month. If I actually make it, then I will see how I feel. If I want to continue I will...if not, then I will most likely add my Goat Cheese back in. Goat Cheese is sooooo much easier for me to digest than Cow Cheese. Oh and a heads up! I will totally be honest if I cheat too. I mean seriously, I'm not completing against anyone and this is really just a test to see if I can really handle this change. However, keep in mind that I think it would be easier for me to give up just about everything else in my diet ( even Excedrin ) than giving up cheese. So, wish me luck.....because I think I really need it!! xo

WORKOUT LOG

*25 min on the treadmill alternating power walking ( 2 min @ 4.0 mph ) and running ( 3 min @ 5.8 mph )

*30 min on the Elliptical Machine level 7

*200 crunches

FOOD LOG

I had very little appetite today?? It was so hot and muggy that food just didn't sound so great

BREAKFAST- ( at 12:30! after shopping ) "Green Monster" ( Spinach, 1.5 Frozen Bananas, Frozen Mangoes, 1 Cup Almond Milk, "Amazing Meal", Stevia )SNACK-After gym, small piece of Mozzarella Cheese, "Sundried Tomato Tapenade" recipe below ( I had about 2 TB ) and "Mary's Gone Crackers" Gluten Free Crackers

DINNER-Amy's Vegan Minestone Soup, Mary's Gone Crackers Gluten Free Crackers

*SUN DRIED TOMATO TAPENADE* VEGETARIAN

Handful of Basil

4 Garlic Cloves

1 Cup Sun dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil

1/2 Cup Kalamata Olives

Salt to taste

small hunk 2"x 2" of Pecorino Romano Cheese

2TB Olive Oil

Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth














2 comments:

  1. Good luck! This is definitely inspiring :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have the same tease across the street from us in santa barbara. . . can not wait for it to finally open. i ate only veggies, melons, berries, almonds and chicken/fish, supplements for 4 weeks this summer (fyi, wine=berries on my version of this plan!). it was actually not too bad, but i missed beans and cheese a lot!! my skin looked great and i had lots of energy, though. . .good luck!

    ReplyDelete