Friday, June 5, 2009

Aloha Friday


Aloha everyone, I ended up taking the day off today to finally enjoy a much needed 3 day weekend. I decided the first thing I wanted to do ( besides having to stop at the vets for cat food ) was finally check out the farmers market at the Maui Mall in Kahului!
Totally worth the drive! I think I scored! The farmers market was MUCH bigger than I expected it to be. They had everything from Poholi Ferns to Strawberry Papayas ( Paw Paw ) and a lot of things that I've never seen before! Tons of Filipino veggies and squashes as well as baked goods like Lumpia and Mochi. I have not been to a Farmer's Market on the Mainland for years and I know the California ones rock! But, there is something really quaint and very Asian about the markets in Hawaii that make going to them such a treat!

MY BOUNTY-Mostly Kula, Maui grown
2 Local Avocados ( VERY LARGE ROUND VARIETY )
Bag of Roma Tomatoes ( 25 count! for $5 )
2 Cucumbers
1 Bag of Shiitaki Mushrooms ( about 15 )
1 Bag of White Mushrooms ( about 15 )
1 large Bunch Green Onions
1 Red Onion
5 Maui Onions
5 Bulbs of Garlic for $1 !
2 large bunches of Asparagus
1 large Jicama
1 Bag of Orange Carrots ( 4 )
2 Purple Okinawan Sweet Potatoes
4 Heads of Romaine ( Cos )
1 Napa Cabbage
1 very large Bunch of Cilantro ( Coriander )
3 large Red Bell Peppers
1 bag of Sugar Snap Peas
3 Heads of Broccoli

All of this cost a total of $48 bucks. I think if I bought this at Mana Foods in Paia it would have been AT LEAST DOUBLE!!!I just hope I can get through all of this food before it goes bad! There were so many more things I wanted to grab but I really had to control myself! Next time maybe...
Oh by the way...I didn't go crazy on the fruit because I have a ton of it at the house at the moment. Mango season has started and the trees are dripping! I have 8 semi ripe Mangoes in a basket outside along with a huge bunch of local Apple Bananas.'
After the Farmers Market I stopped at Down to Earth to grab a quick bite. I had an Artichoke Pasta Salad that was "ok" but it was $5.21 for a really small portion so I don't think I would buy it again.Then, I made the 40 min drive back to Lahaina ( so pretty I stopped to take a pic in Olowalu )
Then, I stopped in Lahaina to check out a new Brazilian Bikini Shop on Front St. I couldn't resist so I purchased a bright turquoise bikini and an extra black bottom! The brand is San Lorenzo ( name of the shop too ) and they are hot! They were not cheap at $42 per item but they let me split up the suits because I'm an XL top and a S bottom. I don't like to shop at stores that don't let me do that....I usually buy solid color suites and totally mix and match them:-) I'll be going back to shop there again....

FOOD LOG-very light food intake today. Not much appetite at all

* SMALL Artichoke Pasta Salad at Down to Earth-Rice with rice flour pasta noodles ( no gluten ) celery, heavy on the artichoke, light on the oil ( safflower ), red wine vinegar, black olives, green bell peppers, Braggs Amino acids

*2 "Almost Raw Granola Bars*

*Salsa Fresca, Organic Blue Corn Tortilla Chips and Mary's Gone Crackers ( no gluten Flax Crackers ) with Surfing Goat Dairy local Chevre

*2 Glasses Whitehaven New Zealand Sauv. Blanc

NO WORKOUT today, Weight: 106.2

No comments:

Post a Comment