Saturday, May 16, 2009

Taste Test


Just wanted to make a quick post about some new food items I tasted this week. Ever since I made pot stickers about 2 weeks ago I have been craving them like crazy! I was feeling lazy and went to the health food store and found these, Ohana House Organic Gyoza. They are made with tofu and shiitake mushrooms and were a pretty great substitute to my version ( which are still better )
I must admit $6.19 for 11 pot stickers is a little too pricey for me these days but I ate the entire bag in one sitting ( 340 calories ) and I was totally satisfied. I cooked them a little bit differently than the recipe recommended. Instead of stir frying them, I added a tiny bit of canola oil to a large pan and browned the bottoms. I then added about 1/4 cup of water to the pan, covered and steamed them for about 5 min over low heat. I also made a yummy dipping sauce as a compliment, 1 part soy sauce 1 part rice wine vinegar.
I 've also been eager to find a whole wheat sprouted tortilla to use when I'm craving something starchy. I think I found a good brand, The Alvarado Street Bakery. These were thin and soft and just how I like my tortillas. I filled them yesterday with bunch of greens, fresh salsa, guacamole and raw corn. This was a nice fix to kill my "real" barrito craving:-) Aloha xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment