Sunday, May 24, 2009

Indian Dim Sum


I've been playing around quite a bit lately with wonton/pot sticker wrappers. Most of my creations have been Asian inspired but I recently picked up a killer Indian cookbook from Amazon.com by Monica Bhide ( "Modern Spice" ) I was introduced to this amazing book through Heidi Swanson's 101 Cookbooks blog. I came across the "Chili Pea Puff" recipe that Heidi recommended and had to give it a go. Now, Monica uses Indian Paneer cheese and bakes her puffs ( which sounds awesome by the way ) however, I felt like making a vegan version and steaming them instead. Here's my version.....
*INDIAN DIM SUM*-VEGAN
1 Cup of Organic Frozen Peas ( thawed )
1/2 Cup Organic Extra Firm Tofu
2 Cloves of Garlic
2 Fresh Red Cayenne Peppers ( from my garden ). You can use Serranos but I really wanted the red to stand out against the green peas
1/4 tsp Fine Sea Salt
1 pkg round Pot Sticker Wrappers ( 24 )
water to seal the wrappers
First, take a Cuisinart and pulse the tofu with the garlic, salt and peppers. Place in bowl. Then pulse the thawed peas. Add to the tofu mixture.
Layout pot sticker wrappers and place about 1 heaping tsp of pea/tofu mixture onto wrapper. Moisten pot sticker wrapper edges and fold over in a half moon. Pinch to seal ( or use a fork ). Place pot stickers in a bamboo steamer and steam until cooked through (about 5 minutes fresh ) or 10 minutes frozen. Serve with Mango Chutney.

4 comments:

  1. that sounds amazing! i will be trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum when can I come over for dinner? I've been on a new change too. I'll call you soon. XO--Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG YUMMMMM ok I am SO making these tonight!

    ReplyDelete