Sunday, April 12, 2009

Outdoor Gym


I'd love it if all my Saturdays were like the one I enjoyed yesterday. First of all, the weather was spectacular! The only bummer was that fact that the Pacific looked like a lake so surfing was out of the question ( so much for swell predicting ) but we took advantage of the ocean anyways. We headed down to Airport Beach with our long boards and paddled from the parking lot area all the way around to Black Rock. The water was jewel colored the whole way and once we rounded Black Rock you could see Kaanapali Beach filled with happy locals and tourist alike. Everyone was taking advantage of the gorgeous day, snorkelers, Stand Up paddlers, kayakers, boaters, outrigger canoe clubs....it was pretty cool. The paddle took about 40 minutes and we had a fairly strong current on the way back. It was defiantly a workout. I think the total distance would be about 2 miles. We have decided that when the ocean is flat, this is the best way to stay in surf ready shape so we are going to try and do this more often.
After the paddle we had a very filling healthy lunch which I will include below and then we did some chores...(like finally wash the Honda and Jeep) and then we decided to try the Maunalei Arboreum hike in Kapalua.....
WOW! I'm so impressed! The hike begins at D.T. Flemings beach and heads straight up one of the ridges that make up the West Maui Mountains. I have no idea what elevation we reached but the views were insane and it was fairly challenging. I guess my guy had a lot of energy to burn and was walking the hill at top speed. He's 6'2" and has a much longer stride than I so it took a lot for me to keep up with him. The total hike was 1 hr 45 min. I think we walked about 4.5 miles??
After the hike we prepared another healthy dinner. Carlos, added to the left overs from lunch and I cooked up something new for me. Then, I made it an early night around 10:30 and fell asleep quickly. Perfect:-)
*Food Log*
no breakfast
Lunch-Salad ( romaine, baby spinach, opal basil, sunflower sprouts, avocado, grape tomatoes, Kula corn and a small amount of crumbled blue cheese, Paul Newman's oil and vinegar dressing )
Quinoa ( see receipt below )
Snack-Banana Cocoa shake ( see receipt below )
Dinner-Baked Tofu with Soy Marinade ( see receipt below ), sauteed zucchini ( lemon juice, olive oil, red peppers and the left over soy tofu marinade ) and plain quinoa
2 glasses of Monkey Bay, New Zealand Sauvignon Black
Dessert-Turtle Mountain dairy free ice cream ( Dulce de Leche)
*Lemon Thyme Quinoa* serves 2 VEGAN
1/2 C well rinsed quinoa

1 C water
zest of 1 lemon and 2 TBs of the juice
1/4 C Golden raisins
1 TB fresh Thyme ( from my garden )
Cook quinoa-add water to rinsed quinoa and bring to boil, cover and simmer on low for about 10 min until water is absorbed, add lemon juice, zest, raisins, and thyme
*Banana Cocoa Shake* for 2 RAW VEGAN
2 cups of coconut water
2 med frozen bananas sliced
2-3 heaping Tbs of raw cocoa powder
1 TB organic coconut butter ( I use Artisana )
1 TB cinnamon
3-4 packets of Stevia
Blend well in a high speed blender
*Soy Marinade* VEGAN
2 smashed garlic cloves
1 TB minced ginger
1 tsp dark sesame oil-organic
1 2 TB Nama Shoyu-organic
1 baby habenero minced ( or omit because this makes the marinade very hot! )
I brushed this marinade on 3 small slices of extra firm organic tofu and baked for about 15 min at 400 degrees. I flipped the tofu once and based that side as well. I then sprinkled black sesame seeds on the tofu.

No comments:

Post a Comment