Thursday, April 16, 2009

Eating High Raw



It's funny keeping a "Food Log" going. You really get a decent idea about what kind of foods you put into your body. I've been making a point to listen to my body and eat what I'm craving. Interestingly, I've been noticing that I've been eating pretty "high raw".
Seriously, all I seem to want these days are crunchy green salads, green juices or cold berries. It's truly amazing how much energy this type of eating gives me let alone all the health benefits they add.
The theory behind eating a High Raw food vegan diet is that it is much less taxing on the body. Digesting food in general is a super energy sucker ( "Food Coma" anyone?) Foods that have been heavily processed, grains, meat and dairy take up to 24 hrs ( or much longer ) to move through the body. This uses up a ton of energy along the way. However, if you are eating a mostly plant based diet, your food will travel through your digestive track at a much faster pace. The result: More energy
I notice when I'm eating High Raw I tend to sleep a lot less, I break out a lot less, my PMS decreases and I have very little digestive issues. The biggest benefit is the "light bouncy" feeling it gives me along with a very flat stomach.
I seem to have gone on and off High Raw through out the years but these days I tend to crave it more. I'd actually like to attempt a " juice fast" or fruit/vegetable only detox soon. I've been studying Raw Food diets and fasting for years and I think slowly but surely this will become a way of life for me.
Honestly, if it didn't taste good or if it didn't make me feel good I would not do it. Just like giving up most dairy. Trust me, if I could REALLY eat it....I would. I'm not into depriving myself anymore. I'll leave that to my early 20s.
If you are interested in learning about or trying a Raw Food Diet there is a TON of info out there ( see my book and website lists ). Personally, my favorite book on the diet is "The Raw Food Detox Diet" by Natalia Rose. It's a great read about how to transition into this way of eating and living. Some people go 100% raw vegan overnight. However, for me it's been easier and will probably be less shocking to my system by going vegetarian to vegan to raw vegan. I've had a huge head start ( proud vegetarian since my early teens ) So, we'll see......to be honest I'm just having fun with it. If it ever starts to make me feel like shit ( or if I turn into a super skinny biotch then I'll stop.....I promise )
*Food Log* April 15th
Breakfast-Green Smoothies ( kale, celery, coconut water, ginger, lemon juice, Fuji apple, stevia )
Lunch-Mixed organic lettuce greens, grape tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, quinoa and Raw Ranch Dressing from the book "Vegan World Fusion Cuisine" *quick note* I would have posted this receipt but I wasn't that impressed. I did like the thin consistency but it lacked flavor. I'm going to play with it a bit and post it if I come up with something better.
Snack-Gluten Free and Wheat Free "Mary's Gone Crackers"
Dinner-"Mock" Green Papaya Salad ( see April 14th receipt ), Jasmine Rice with Nama Shoyu. This time around I added fresh mint, grape tomatoes and shaved carrots to the salad and it was awesome! 2 glasses of Manyana Tempranillo from Spain ( FYI~I LOVE Tempranillo grapes!! So good and still a great value @ $6.99 a bottle)
Dessert-Turtle Mountain Dairy Free Ice Cream "Dulce de Leche"
1 hour coastal hike
*Food Log* April 16th
Breakfast-Berry smoothie ( very good! ) Coconut water, juice of 1 orange, frozen banana, 2 handfuls of frozen mixed berries, dash of cinnamon, 1 packet of Stevia )
Lunch-Raw Zucchini "pasta" ( I used a Saladacco to make the large zucchini into "Angel Hair Pasta" so cool! Then I heated up a marinara ( I had a jar of Classico Tomato Basil pasta sauce so I added, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 chopped Maui onion, salt, hot red pepper flakes, 1 TB balsamic vinegar, a large handful of fresh chopped oregano and basil from my garden ) FYI~this was super tasty!
Dinner-Strawberry Goat Cheese salad *see earlier post April 10th*, handful of "Mary's Gone Crackers!"
40 minute 2 mile paddle along Airport Beach
weight~a solid 106.0 on the nose

No comments:

Post a Comment