Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Plan


Yesterday, February 6 was my boyfriends 38th birthday. Recently both he and I have been discussing what we want to be doing with ourselves in the next 10 yrs. Besides some obvious discussion relating to our career paths the other topics focused around travel. We both share an incredible passion of wanting to see the world. We also share a common interest in surfing and all water sports in general and we want to be able to continue these activities into our 40's and beyond. I came across an article online about training into your 40's. The article featured big wave and local Maui surfer Laird Hamilton who is currently 44 years old. Laird has always amazed me and not only for his surfing abilities but also because of his pure dedication to being an all around athlete. He windsurfs, stand up paddles, snowboards, bikes up mountains (like 10,000 ft. Haleakala) weekly and surfs 60ft waves. In order for him to continue these sports in spite of age takes training....A LOT of training ( daily ). I can not help but be inspired by his workouts. For the most part, they seem to be focused on circuit training. Although he does spend time in a traditional gym with weights. His workouts seem to be centered around stand up paddling, weighted bike rides up hills and many other balancing techniques using an exercise ball. I really don't have the desire or need to workout 5+ hrs a day but I think I'd like to really change some things up. First of all, I have been debating on purchasing a Stand Up paddle board for about 2 yrs now. I think it's about time I just do it. I love the idea that I can get out on the ocean and on a surf board when there are no swells in town ( common esp. in the summer! ) I also like the idea of paddling on my stomach more often for distance paddles, and bike riding. Most importantly I think I HAVE to incorporate some sort of yoga or Pilates class 2+ times a week to focus on my core and flexibility.
Lucky for me, my partner wants to kick start his workouts as well and is more than willing to join me ( I hope ). About a 1 1/2 yrs ago he and I travelled down to Australia for a month. We had planned for it to be a surf trip but we got skunked on waves. However, it still turned out to be one of the best vacations of our lives because Australia just happens to have the best food in the world! So, Our holiday turned out to be all about dining out and it was great!! Unfortunately, for my sexy man after 4 weeks of fine dining, wine and countless desserts packed on about 20 lbs. Lucky for him he's 6'2" and it is barely noticable. A year later we did the same thing in Argentina and needless to say he's still about 20 lbs heavier than he wants to be. So, this was actually the point of why I was researching the "aging athlete" in the first place. I myself gained about 3 lbs on our trips but then again I think I have a bit more restraint! hahaha. Anyways, I'm happy to know we are on the same page. Travelling the world and surfing for years to come is going to require us to be more disciplined with our daily habits.....I'm looking forward to upping the ante:-)
So, yesterday....I did my normal 40 minutes ( level 7 ) of the elliptical machine but then I added 20 minutes ( level 5) on a stationary bike. I then proceeded to work my shoulders, upper back, abs and triceps with weight machines.
Today, we did a 3 mile hike with lots of steep hills into Maui's west mountains and I did another 40 mins on the elliptical machine followed by 200 crunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment