Sunday, February 1, 2009

My Story


I've been working on my diet and workout routine for as long as I can remember. When I was in my teens I seemed to always be struggling with my weight. When I went to college the struggle got even worst. My heaviest was 142 lbs. ( I'm 5'5" now but 5'3" at the time) and I was very curvy. I could never figure out what the secret was to trim down and I tried everything......I worked out all the time, I was a vegetarian, then I went 2 yrs on the Atkins diet. I did the cabbage soup diet, I took Dexatrim, drank Slim Fast, I starved myself ( that was dumb), I did a diet where I ate nothing but fruit until noon. Then I did another where I didn't eat anything past 5pm. Any weight I would lose I would just gain right back. I was constantly frustrated until finally I just gave in. I think I was about 23 yrs old. I figured that I was going to learn to love my thicker thighs, my DD cup bras and bigger booty. I started to focus on other things like saving to buy a house, getting back into surfing and studing interior decorating. I started to forget about my weight, what I was eating and at what time I was eating it at. I started to eat when I was hungry and not when I wasn't. I started to cook again and fall back into my vegetarian diet because I liked it the best. And then the strangest thing happened......I lost about 30 lbs over the course of about 2 years. So, this brings me to today. I'm 32 ( 33 this coming April ) and I've maintained my trimmer size without much stress for about 10 years now. I'm actually even a bit smaller these days but I don't think that what I weight now or what size I am is that important. What is important is the life style changes I made. Diets never work. You have to change your habits instead and this takes time. I can honestly look back and see that I made positive changes in my diet and physical activity over these years and the result has been a more athletic and trim physique. I'm far from perfect. However, I've learned to forgive myself when I eat junk or get lazy. Instead of losing weight these days my focus has been health, strength and endurance. I also want to eat more locally and shift from a vegetarian diet to a vegan diet. I'd even be interested to explore Raw/Living foods more and new ways to supplement my workouts by concentrating on my core and flexibility. Anyways, mahalo for taking the time to check out my blog. I'm hoping to use it as a journal so I can track my own progress and maybe as a result it will motivate someone else along the way. Aloha

No comments:

Post a Comment