Monday, February 2, 2009

Green Smoothies


Over the last few years I started looking into a living food diet. I've been a vegetarian for many years and I have been becoming increasingly intolerant to dairy. So, it was probably just a matter of time before I would stumble upon the popular Raw Food Diet. A Raw Food Diet consists of living foods ( vegetables, fruit, seeds, nuts and sprouts ). These living foods have not been heated past 118 degrees F. The verdict still seems to be out on the exact temperature that food's enzymes start to die. I actually hear everything from 108-118 degrees F these days so don't hold me to this. Anyways, I could go on and on about the information I have gathered on this particular way to eat but what I really want to do is point out how I've been incorporating some of these theories into my current diet.
At the end of summer my boyfriend and I decided to invest in a Vita-Mix 5200. We came upon a deal at Costco one day and grabbed one ( they are not cheap ). Since August, I think I've been using it almost daily. Most mornings I make a "Green Smoothie". When studying raw foods you seem to read a lot about the importance of eating and juicing green veggies. I tried many different combos of green leafed veggies and fruits until I came across a good one. The biggest challenge I found was reducing the price of my daily smoothie. I think I was mixing too many ingredients in the first month. So... now I narrowed it down to the basics. Here's my current receipt. It varies a little ( usually the fruit part ) but I nurse one of these everyday for breakfast and it keeps me full until lunch. The biggest improvement I noticed is my zero need for a morning coffee!
*Green Smoothie* ( I eyeball all amounts and buy organic whenever possible ) RAW VEGAN
2 Cups Coconut water
3 large hand fulls of Spinach, Kale, or cilantro ( or a mix of all 3 )
juice of one lemon
1 apple
1 inch slice fresh ginger
2-3 packets of Stevia ( natural sweetener )

Blend all ingredients in Vita Mix or powerful blender until smooth. I like to freeze the bananas or papayas overnight to make the smoothie even creamier.....yum:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment